Or, welcome to my new life.
Dawn over the I-5
Recently, and rather belatedly, I came across a goal-setting Internet meme called 101 Things in 1001 Days. 1001 days equates to about 2.75 years, which is a more substantial (and less daunting) time frame in which to get stuff done than the usual year of resolutions we set ourselves.
Since it was my birthday this weekend, and since I’ve got rather a big birthday coming up in 3 years time, I spent my birthday eve putting together my own list which I’m going to give myself 3 years to achieve. Putting the list together was fun - the site DayZeroProject is very useful, as it both gives you a place to put your own list and lets you search other peoples’ for ideas (I’m PaolaCT on there). Start Googling and there are also plenty of sites out there with other ideas.
I’ve tried to put together a list which includes a mixture of horrid stuff that needs to get done, self-improving stuff, things I’ve always wanted to do, downright treats and pie in the sky fantasies - a combination of ‘quick wins’ and stuff that currently seems totally impossible. Looking at it I feel inspired, excited and somewhat daunted, which I suppose is exactly the right mix of emotions.
I’m writing out the list here and will link to the full list somewhere on the blog in the coming days. I’ll give you periodic updates, especially when I’ve been able to tick something off.
Currently I’m working on the sock monkey challenge (of which more anon), have completed 1 out of 80 cryptic crosswords, did a new thing this month (visted Ballard Locks) and am about to embark on the power walking and peanut butter challenges. This latter one is putting me in a cold sweat already. I am a peanut butter ADDICT.
If anyone else is inspired to make their own 101 list, do let me know, and very many thanks to Lou at Happy Serendipity and Nicole at MakingItLovely for their initial inspiration.
This is going to be fun!
I was hoping to give this list as the first page on a newly-redesigned blog, but unfortunately the mirrormirror technical support team (aka the Husband) has been rather busy with his proper job this week. Which only goes to prove that goal-setting is a dangerous exercise. But whatevs. I’m hoping to be back to daily blogging now. I’ve missed you guys…
101 Things (In No Particular Order)
1. Get a little red dress (I don’t usually do dresses, let alone red ones)
2. Volunteer at a food bank at least once a year (0/3)
3. See Niagara Falls
4. Attend the 2012 London Olympics
5. Lose 50lbs (0/50)
6. FINALLY Get the ACL in my knee repaired (as so many of my fitness/weight loss goals depend on this oneI’ve got an appointment to see the specialist this week).
7. Get my missing tooth replaced (I want to get my body as perfect as it can possibly be)
8. Finish a Babette blanket. (Still working on finishing my other blanket first).
9. Go somewhere in South America
10. Visit the Grand Canyon
11. Go to Santa Fe
12. Open ‘mirrormirror’ US
13. Organise all the photos on my computer
14. Do 30 straight days of Bikram yoga
15. Do a triathlon
16. Win something. Anything!
17. Break 5,000 followers on Twitter
18. Sell some photos.
19. Knit a sock monkey (Have plans for that one that I’ll talk about soon).
20. Get a personal wardrobe/shopping consultation
21. Acquire a sewing machine
22. Complete a sewing project
23. Learn to cook Thai food
24. Build raised beds and grow veggies
25. Finish landscaping and planting the front garden
26. Get whole house painted inside and out
27. Go sugar-free for 30 days (0/30)
28. Go to 30 restaurants I’ve never been to before (0/30)
29. Get visible abs (ha ha ha ha ha! my abs don’t exist, I’ve NEVER seen them before)
30. Go to Hawaii
31. Visit Australia
32. Write up and catalogue all of my family tree research
33. Visit my aunt in Southern California
34. Eat 5 foodstuffs I’ve never tried before
35. Knit something in Fair Isle/stranded colourwork
36. Knit a complex lace shawl in silk lace
37. Get my blog professionally redesigned
38. Do one thing a month I’ve never done before (1/36) (yesterday I visited Ballard Locks in Seattle)
39. Organise at least 6 nights away with the Husband and without the Minx (0/6)
40. Get mirrormirror mentioned in at least 30 print (0/30) and 30 online publications (0/30)
41. Visit New England in the Fall
42. Go strawberry and apple picking
43. Continue learning Spanish in the car with the Minx
44. Get a professional photoshoot done of the whole family
45. Clear my email inbox
46. Get a piano or keyboard
47. Take piano lessons
48. Do the Susan B Komen 3 Day Walk for the Cure
49. Go away with just the Minx for 3 ‘Mummy & Daughter’ weekends (0/3)
50. Visit the upcoming Picasso exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum
51. Do the Theo Chocolate Tour
52. Get stock photos up on Getty Images or similar
53. Join a knitting group
54. Go razor clamming
55. Set up a mirrormirror fan page on Facebook and get over 1,000 fans
56. Make a felted handbag
57. Make a piece of jewellery
58. Go to ALT Summit and the International Food Blogger Conference
59. Start a compost bin
60. Go jetskiing
61. Listen to 10 albums by artists I’ve not listened to before (0/10)
62. Complete all 80 cryptic crosswords in the Times Cryptic Crossword Book 14 (1/80)
63. Be a vegan for a week
64. Tidy my office
65. Learn to make Italian ‘sott’olio’ preserves – melanzane and peperoncini
66. Learn a little Mandarin Chinese with the Minx in the car
67. Go the Maison & Objet and the New York International Gift Fair
68. Get eyes checked for feasibility of laser surgery
69. Attend 6 photography workshops (0/6)
70. Make ravioli from scratch without even a pasta machine
71. Take a flying trapeze class
72. Take a day OFF on my birthday every year (0/3)
73. Write a letter for the Minx to open when she’s 18
74. Get signed up with a Primary Care Provider and arrange for an all-over physical
75. See 6 bands live 0/6
76. Read 20 ‘classic’ books I haven’t read before (0/20)
77. Drink only water for one month
78. Watch 5 Oscar winners for Best Documentary (0/5)
79. Get basement finished and fully habitable
80. Don’t complain about anything for a week
81. Have a garage sale
82. Unplug for a whole weekend (not phone, Internet, TV etc.)
83. Go ice skating
84. See 10 ‘classic’ movies I’ve never seen (0/10)
85. Scuba dive/snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef
86. Go white water rafting
87. Go snowmobiling
88. Run a 5k
89. Go for a month without peanut butter
90. Get more of my photos mounted and displayed around the house
91. Workout for an hour a day, 5 days a week, for 4 weeks straight (0/4)
92. Powerwalk for 30 mins a day every day for a month (0/31)
93. Take a photo a day for a month
94. Get one utterly fabulous piece of personal PR (I’ll know it when I see it)
95. Eat at the French Laundry, the Herb Farm and Chez Panisse (0/3)
96. Take the Minx to Disneyland
97. Sign up for a spin class
98. Go swimming once a week for 3 consecutive months (0/12)
99. Get a photo on Flickr’s ‘Explore’ page again.
100. Put aside $50 for every I task I complete to buy myself a fabulous birthday present
101. Donate $50 to charity for every task I don’t complete